The Knife of Never Letting Go  - Patrick Ness I'm always hesitant when it comes to reading books categorised as for 'children', but this is one of those books that is so important, clever and gripping it does not deserve to be limited by calling it merely a 'children's' book.

I'm finding it difficult to put into words just how much I loved this novel, I could not put it down. It makes you think, makes you laugh, makes you cry... this really is a literary triumph. It should be compulsory reading for everyone.

It tells the story of Todd, the last boy in Prentisstown, who will become a man on his 13th birthday. Prentisstown, though, is unlike any you'll have ever come across, because everyone can hear each other's thoughts, which they call 'noise'. In a town like that, you'd think keeping a secret to be the least possible thing.

But we soon find out that noise can lie and that Prentisstown has some very dark secrets. What really happened to the women of Prentisstown? What lies on the other side of the swamp? And why is it so important that Todd, just one boy, reaches his birthday and becomes a man? This is a fast-paced, gripping tale of the adventure of growing up and the difficult decisions we face along the way.