Wake - I best get this review out of the way before I start the second book in the series: Fade. In short, the story is about Janie, a girl who finds herself dragged into the dreams of those sleeping around her - a big problem, as you can imagine, in the majority of high school classes. With no idea why she has this strange ability, Janie begins to discover that, not only can she see the dreams happening, she can also interfere and change what happens.

I really liked the story and, surprisingly for a young adult novel, I also liked the romance going on between Janie and Cabel. The characters are interesting and I found the novel to be at times really funny and at others quite sad. I think it's the kind of book that grows on you the further you get. I wasn't overwhelmed with wonder in the first chapter but I noticed that the book quickly got better and better.

What I couldn't get used to and still find really strange when I think back about it, is the fact that the novel is written in 3rd person present tense narrative. It kept confusing me and just seemed rather weird. There were a number of times whilst I was reading the novel where it would say "she did this" or "she did that" and I'd be thinking "who's she? I thought Janie was the only one there... ohhhh". But, on the whole, it doesn't detract from the overall story and I found it a different and enjoyable read. Thanks to readitswapit, I have book 2 already sitting on my shelf. Apparently, though, according to the ever-wise Tatiana book 3 is a no-go. I'll probably stop after Fade.