Rode Hard, Put Up Wet (Rough Riders, #2) - Lorelei James From back of book:

Warning: this book contains explicit sex nine ways 'til Sunday - including menage a trois, inventive use of ropes, naughty girls getting spanked, stubborn men getting hog-tied, graphic language and whoo-wee! hot nekkid cowboy action.

You have been warned.

Good for you if you're still here because this book is so so HOT!! This is my first read by Lorelei James seeing as her books are fairly unattainable in the UK unless you have about £50 to blow on Ebay. If you keep on the lookout, though, eventually you might find a good deal (like I did) and you had better snag these sexy novels right away. But, seriously, they are not for the faint of heart and if you're generally opposed to graphic sex in books or sex that is a little more than ordinary they are not for you. Otherwise, step right in to the world of Ms James and hot cowboys getting it on all the time, in every place imaginable.

By the way, any of you not particularly consider a cowboy your definition of mr sex-on-a-stick? Hey, that was me too before I read this book. But Lorelei James knows only too well what gets our heart racing and if you think you can escape the sexual pull of these alpha males: think again.

On that note, I was reading an interesting blog post by Ms James on her website about alpha males, sexism and feminism and she made an important point that I think I love the most about her novels. That is that she may create alpha males but she always creates equally strong alpha females. There's no big strong cowboy and weak, whimpering cowgirl. Damn no, all her characters have strong, dominating personalities. I may be falling in love with the author and potentially the series too.

But... did you think this was just a book about sex? Well, sure, there's an awful lot of sex, but there's also some very touching emotional tales going on here as well. There are two love stories, Gemma and Cash, and Macie and Carter. Gemma is a lonely widow who hasn't been able to get Cash Big Crow out of her mind since the last time he came to town, but Cash wonders if he is simply a poor substitute for her dead husband and seeks to make a mark that her husband never did: physically and emotionally.

Macie is Cash's daughter and grew up travelling with her mother and rarely seeing her father. They have finally come together in an attempt to build a relationship but they soon find their own insecurities get in the way. As for Carter, he is a horny artist who discovers his muse the day Macie struts into town, and he is determined to make her far more than that. Note: there's some seriously hot goings on with rope and whipped cream!

Stories in erotica are often sketchy and just poorly-executed fillers between the sex. But not here. It's quite sad at times and, when I reached the end, I was shocked at just how important it was to me to know what happened to these characters. I won't say I was surprised because the ratings and reviews speak for themselves, but this is so so much more than an erotic novel (though it's damn good at being that). There's a chance I might increase my rating has this series progresses but I'm always hesitant to give 5 stars. We'll see how I'm feeling after I've read the next book I've ordered from ebay: Tied Up, Tied Down.