Tied Up, Tied Down  - Lorelei James From back of book:

Warning: this book contains no holes barred kinky sex scenes, wicked rope play, blunt language, and yowza! lots of hot cowboy nekkidness.

This is the second book I've read in the Rough Riders series and, luckily for me, they don't seem to need to be read in order so far. I really enjoyed the book, both the erotic aspect and the touching story behind it but I still think it's my least favourite of the two I've read (the other being Rode Hard, Put Up Wet). I thought it was hot and I was really interested in the subplots but the characters didn't interest me quite as much as they did in the other novel.

The story is about Skylar - an independent businesswoman - and Kade who is another of Lorelei James' smoking hot Mckay cowboys. At the start we learn that Kade pretended to be his twin brother Kane (damn confusing, by the way) and proceeded to seduce Skylar into his bed (well, his car actually). What this leads to is a very pissed off and - unbeknownst to Kade - pregnant Skylar. Kade runs away to lick his wounds completely unaware that he is soon to be a father... and it isn't until a year later that he returns to discover his three month old daughter and her still sexy mama.

Just so you know, ^these are not spoilers^, you can read all this information on the back of the book, I'm just giving a brief overview and, in fact, all of this happens in the first two chapters. The rest of the novel is about the development of Skylar and Kade's relationship from reluctant (but not really) parenting partners to lovers. I like how Lorelei James doesn't feel the need to create weak, whiny female characters to go with her alpha males. All her characters have extremely dominating personalities and it makes for a lot of heat and drama.

My problem with this novel was some of Kade's actions. I seem to be in disagreement with every other opinion I've read in reviews about Kade. The general consensus is that "he's so sweet", "he's just the right amount of alpha and beta". Well, actually, I hated it when he found out he had a daughter and stormed into the home of the woman he hadn't seen in a year saying "I'm moving in, we're sleeping in the same bed, do not argue". Um, yeah, I think every father has the right to see their kids but that's way out of line. It's also unrealistic. Even someone who likes to be dominated in the bedroom wouldn't get off on a man storming into their house all guns blazing and announcing that a) She now shares her home, and b) She now shares her bed. You'd tell him where he could shove his fatherly rights.

As it happens, these few niggling factors weren't enough to turn me off and Kade fully redeemed himself by the end. I thought it was cute how he made sure he always told Skylar she looked perfect because she was feeling insecure about the excess baby weight. Plus, the way he completely lavished their baby with love and attention was adorable.

So I had some issues, I can't recall the last time I didn't have some kind of issues with a book. But I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to read the rest of the series.